SSI has a proven upgrade method that efficiently and carefully upgrades your Odoo system.
The major phases are:
When you are ready to start the process you let us know and SSI creates a test upgrade request.
1. Odoo processes the request automatically by running the database through an upgrade script, which takes between 20 and 120 minutes.
2. Odoo delivers a test database back to SSI.
3. SSI tests your database for possible discrepancies.
4. If there are any discrepancies, SSI developers work to eliminate items that block the database from opening.
5. SSI fixes the issues, does internal testing and sets up User Acceptance Testing (UAT)
6. Once you have completed the testing and are happy with the results, you decide on a date and time when you stop users from accessing Odoo, freeze all data entries, and pick a go-live date.
7. SSI delivers the production database through the automated process.
8. SSI restores the database to your Production environment a few short hours later and you continue working on the newly upgraded database.
This phase allows you to review an upgraded version of your database without affecting your
production database in any way. We suggest that you run the test upgrade process at least once, but you can do it as many times as you need (one at a time). Once you receive your upgraded test database, check that all data, processes, and functionality are still correct and working as expected. If you do find discrepancies, report your issues and request a new test database when the reported issues are fixed in the upgrade script.
If you do not find any discrepancies, you can move on to the upgrade of your production
UAT (User Acceptance Testing) Test scenarios
Basic Test Checklist
- Are there views that are deactivated in your test database but active in your production database?
- Are your usual views still displayed correctly?
- Are your reports (invoice, sales order, etc.) correctly generated?
- Are your website pages working correctly?
- Are you able to create and modify records? (sales orders, invoices, purchases, users, contacts, companies, etc.)
- Are there any issues with your mail templates?
- Are there any issues with saved translations?
- Are your search filters still present?
- Can you export your data?
Example of end-to-end testing
- Checking a random product in your product catalog and comparing its test and production data to verify everything is the same (product category, selling price, cost price, vendor, accounts, routes, etc.).
- Buying this product (Purchase app).
- Confirming the reception of this product (Inventory app).
- Checking if the route to receive this product is the same in your production database (Inventory app).
- Selling this product (Sales app) to a random customer.
- Opening your customer database (Contacts app), selecting a customer (or company), and checking its data.
- Shipping this product (Inventory app).
- Checking if the route to ship this product is the same as in your production database (Inventory app).
- Validating a customer invoice (Invoicing or Accounting app).
- Crediting the invoice (issuing a credit note) and checking if it behaves as in your production database.
- Checking your reports’ results (Accounting app).
- Randomly checking your taxes, currencies, bank accounts, and fiscal year (Accounting app).
- Making an online order (Website apps) from the product selection in your shop until the checkout process and checking if everything behaves as in your production database.
This list is not exhaustive. Extend the example to your other apps based on your use of Odoo.
Every business and organization has its own operational needs and has to test its specific Odoo
database individually. We recommend you look at the test scenario for further information.
The production upgrade request is when you decide to upgrade your current database with all
your production data (invoices, VAT returns, inventories, current orders) to a new version of your
choice. After your tests are completed to your satisfaction, submit the request to upgrade your
with our project manager.
Post Go-live support
SSI is available for assistance with items that arise after go-live from helping take full advantage of new features and functionality to other business transformations from customer growth.
With a customer specific processes analysis a high-level estimate can be provided to assist in tracking progress during your upgrade. The outline of our project plan steps is in the chart below.